Strawberry and Macadamia Crostata
An authentic taste of Italy with this rustic crostata dessert from Delicious magazine.
- 300g raw macadamias
- 2 cups (240g) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 eggwhite, plus 1 whole egg
- 400g strawberries, hulled, halved
- 1 tbs demerara sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 340g plain flour, sifted
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter, cold, chopped
- For the pastry, place the flour, sugar and 1/2 tsp salt into a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Add the cold butter and using your fingers, crumble the butter into the flour until there are pieces no bigger than a dried bean. Using the palms of your hands, rub the butter and flour between them to create thin sheets of butter, this will help to create thin flaky layers. Add 1/2 cup (125ml) iced water, 1 tbs at a time, just until the pastry comes together. You may not use all the water. Turn pastry out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until it just comes together. Shape into a ball, flatten into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the macadamia paste, place macadamias and icing sugar in a food processor and whiz until finely crushed. Transfer to a bowl and add in eggwhite and 1/4 tsp salt and mix until just combined. Set aside until needed.
- Place a large oven tray or pizza stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Roll out pastry on a clean, lightly floured work surface to about 2mm thick, to form a rough 36cm circle. Try to keep it as round in shape as possible. Place pastry onto a piece of baking paper. Gently spread the macadamia paste over the pastry, leaving an 8cm border. Arrange the strawberries over the top of the paste. Fold the border over the strawberries to partially enclose. Beat whole egg with 1 tsp cold water. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle the demerara sugar over the crust. Pick up the sides of the baking paper and place the whole crostata onto preheated tray or pizza stone. Bake on the centre rack, for 30 minutes or until golden. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 30 minutes or until deep golden.
- Slice, and serve warm with vanilla ice cream alongside.