Macadamia and pineapple muffins
- 2 1/4 cups (335g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup (110g) raw sugar, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts (see notes)
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 440g canned crushed pineapple in natural juice, well drained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Low-fat yoghurt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190°C (not fan-forced).
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Place flour and sugar in a large bowl with half the macadamias, then set aside.
- Melt butter with honey in a small saucepan over low heat. When melted, remove from heat and add the buttermilk and pineapple.
- Stir to combine, then add egg. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients and pour in buttermilk mixture. Fold in to just combine, then pour mixture into muffin pan.
- Combine remaining nuts with extra tablespoon of raw sugar and sprinkle over the muffins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with extra honey and yoghurt, or dust with icing sugar if desired.
Shop for roasted macadamias in our online store.
Recipe inspiration from our friends at Delicious magazine.