Berries, Yogurt Ice Cream and Macadamia Crunch
- 1/4 cup (35g) macadamias, chopped, roasted
- 1 tbs cacao nibs (from health food shops)
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted, crushed
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, toasted, crushed
- 1 tsp bee pollen (optional)
- 250g strawberries, larger ones halved
- 125g each blueberries and raspberries
YOGHURT ICE CREAM
- 1 thyme sprig
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tbs runny honey
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 600g Greek yoghurt
1. For the yoghurt ice cream, place thyme, sugar, honey, lemon zest and 1/3 cup (80ml) water in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cook, without stirring, for 5 minutes to develop flavour. Strain through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl and cool. Whisk yoghurt into cooled syrup, transfer to an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions until thick but soft enough to spoon into a container. (Alternatively, pour into a shallow container and freeze for 2 hours or until frozen at edges. Remove from freezer and, in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk to combine. Return to container and refreeze. Repeat 2 or 3 times.) Transfer to a container and freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
2. Meanwhile, combine macadamias, cacao nibs, fennel, cumin, bee pollen, if using, and 1/4 tsp salt flakes in a bowl. Divide berries among serving bowls, top with a scoop of yoghurt ice cream and sprinkle with macadamia mixture.
Shop for roasted macadamias in our online store.
Recipe inspiration from our friends at Delicious magazine.